Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Into the Winter

I find that Declan goes through phases where not much happens and then he goes through phases where he learns one new thing after the next. The same goes with his clothes. He grew out of the the clothes from 0 - 12 months sooooo quickly. I've had him in 12 months clothes for quite a while because I'd rather put on clothes that are loose and baggy and get some good wear out of them, then to wait until they fit and then only where them for a short time. I love to shop at value village for Declan and I've picked up quite a few pair of overalls. I love when he wears overall because they fit well with his cloth diapers. I had him in the overalls he still wears now, back in September. That's a good 4 - 5 months in the same pairs . . . and they should still last for a few more months.

Pictures of Declan with his overall on:




Declan has been teething since he was 3 months old. At his 3 month check up the doctor said he was teething. Well, I'll tell ya, those teeth must have went up and down about 5 times. Finally at 8 months the one has poked through (his left tooth ...when looking at him, it is the right tooth). I think today his other one is trying to get through . . . though I've said that many times. Declan's teething doesn't affect his night sleeps at all. It mostly just makes him cry spontaneously here and there and very unexpected. Since Declan is a very easy child to figure out and I have trained him to be on a schedule, when he cries at odd times, I always assume something is wrong. We've now been trained by Declan to get out his teething toy from the freezer when he cries in a weird way or at a weird time. More often than not, the teething toy helps him out! I haven't got a picture of his teeth or the teether yet. I'll remember to do that soon.

People say that when kids get to be about 8 months they start to have stranger anxiety. Declan had a bad boust of that during the Christmas Holidays. I did learn though, that mostly the problem was that Declan was feeling quite sick for a couple of weeks there. He sure was momma's little boy. He has been back to his normal self again (for the most part). Today I brought him to the church nursery while I was at a bible study and he cried in the middle of it for about 5 min. they thought. I realized at home that the problem was that he was teething. A spontaneous cry. They wouldn't know that though.


Declan has been in a good routine for sleeping for quite a while though. He doesn't have a perfect routing where I know exactly when he will get up. For instance. Normally he gets up about 7, but then he might sleep in until 8. Then he'll have a morning nap starting about 8:30 or 9 and sleep until 10 - 11. Then he'll sleep from about 12:30 or 1, until 3 or 3:30. Just lately he is dropping his evening nap which is normally about 4:30 until 5:30. I'm kind of glad he is dropping it, because he didn't really give us much time to do errands with him. He would sleep till 5:30 and then be in bed by 7:30. If we wanted to eat out without a grumpy child, we would really have to do some good planning. Now we have from 4ish until 7 ish to do stuff out of the house with him. Here is Declan sleeping:



We find that a big adjustment has been the carry carseat to the one that stays in the car. He reached 19lbs in the late fall so we bought the new car seat (which I love). We were anxious to put him in the new car seat because we thought it would be fun. We were having major issues trying to fit him in the carry carseat with his snowsuit on. We didn't want to buy one of those bags that covers the baby cause he was so close to the 22 lbs needed to be out of the carry thing. He was growing at such a fast rate (at least a couple of pounds each month). Now the funny thing is that I went to the appointment at the beginning of January and Declan was at the lower end of 19lbs! So....he could have been in the carry car seat that whole time, and still now! He lost a bit of weight over the Christmas holidays. I think it was because he was feeling sick and he wasn't eating much food and throwing up his bottle sometimes. My point is that he could have still been in the carry seat and it would have been worth buying one of those bags to cover him. Oh well. He really doesnt' like being in it though. He would have dealt with it, but he would slither out the minute he was untied. Here is Declan in the carry car seat:


No comments: