Monday, January 7, 2008

Declan as a newborn baby!



I missed recording much information about Declan, during his first several months. I will attempt to do this now (during his 7th month).

Declan John Rutledge was born on a warm, sunny, Sunday afternoon at 2:29pm. It was May 13th, 2007 on Mother's Day. He was a very special Mother's Day present. I must admit though, I wasn't feeling too special that day. I was probably feeling about the worst I have ever felt. Though holding my brand new little boy was such a weird experience to me. It was hard to believe that this little boy would be mine forever. He was my responsibility.

Declan was a very good newborn. This was such a blessing because it took me over two weeks to recover from this birth. It really took a toll on my body (especially compared to some of my friends . . . who I am so jealous about). When people asked me how I was doing I'd say "Well Declan is doing wonderfully, but me . . . not so much!". Declan immediately went on a 4 hour schedule. It took me longer to realize this however. The first night was difficult mostly because I couldn't get Declan out of his little bed on wheels. I would have to call a nurse everytime. Or . . . I would struggle for about 10 min. trying to reach him. I planned on breastfeeding, but I found it too difficult and because of my state (utterly exhausted and physically in pain), I battled with myself for about a week and a half, and decided I would bottle feed). Not for one minute since I made that decision have I regretted it. It has allowed for so much help from Gary and really made Declan so portable.


Declan was born 8lbs 3oz and was 19 inches long. He lost a little weight at the beginning (like usual) and then really added on the pounds. My doctor told me that he was 95th percentile weight and length.




I remember feeling fascinated by Declan's hands. He would move them around a lot and liked to place them by his face. He would have them all spanned out. Also he had really long feet and toes. He had deep blue eyes and dark brown hair (just a nice amount).

Declan only cried when he wanted something. From the beginning he communicated what he wanted. He would anxiously stick his fingers in his mouth when he was hungry. He would only do this when he was hungry. This really helped us out a lot. I really tried to read his needs, rather than just make assumptions. We put him on the schedule of sleep, eat, change, play. We quickly learned that he was an Angel/Textbook baby. Thanks to the Tracy Mogg 'The Secrets of the Baby Whisperer', I really had a pretty good idea of what to do with this newborn. Declan smiled even when he was quite young. I was convinced that he was really smiling, though others said it was just gas. It was true, however, than when he really started to smile, there was a difference in the light behind his smile.



My love for Declan grew each day. I loved him from the beginning, though it wasn't an overwhelming love like some people feel. It was a gradual love. I felt like I didn't know my son when I first held him. As I spent time with him, I got to know him and then my love grew and grew. I was so proud of everything he did. Now as he approaches 8 months, I just love him to pieces.

No comments: