Friday, August 29, 2008

My Favourite Part of the Day

I think I might have mentioned before that my favourite part of the day is putting Declan to bed. It isn't as bad as it sounds. Our little bedtime routine is so enjoyable for me. 1) Put on pajamas (change diaper) 2) get milk and books 3) sit on chair outside if it is nice or inside if it isn't 4) read two or three books while he is drinking 5) sing songs from a song book 6) do a couple action poems - itsy bitsy, pat a cake, if you're happy and you know it etc. 7) pray (he doesn't really like praying yet) 8) say goodnight to dad 9) down to sleep.

I just love the times where he will just lay on my lap and drink back his milk while pointing to pictures in books. He is really catching on to a lot of the pictures and can point to them. He can do all the actions for 'if your happy and ..." He really thrives on the routine and we never have a problem getting him to sleep in the night. Ahh...my little sleeping baby! I absolutely love when he learns something new. During our one-on-one time on the blanket today, he really got into playing with the little tykes toys. He put the little people on the cars, in the houses etc.

The big accomplishment is that he will very contently play in the play pen for about 50 min!!! I think that is huge! He is have play play time in his play pen instead of having a morning nap. That gives me the same break that I have loved since he was born just after he wakes up.

I really want to keep teaching my little son to do things. He is getting to that point where he is starting to catch on to 'being taught'. Before I didn't feel like showing him stuff would make much difference . . .he would learn it when he is ready. Now he is really beginning to be aware of what I am showing him and he'll try it out himself. I want to keep teaching him body parts, different animals, little songs, people's names, objects in his books, names of clothes, etc. I've let him play with a couple of puzzle and he enjoys them. He doesn't quite understand them. He'll try the difference pieces in the same spot every time.

So much fun. I really want to make good use of my time with him. Often I just let him play on his own...because I'm 'busy'. But now I really want to have more one-on-one time with him.

Daily Schedule
7:00 - 7:30 Wake Time
7:30 - 8:00 Breakfast, Diaper, Clothes
8:00 - 8:45 Free play time (I think I want to start having one-on-one time at this point)
8:45 - 9:30 Play Pen Time
9:30 - 10:00 Free play time
10:00 - 11:00 Snack Time and Sesame Street . . . until he gets bored (or outside)
10:30 - 11:30 Outside or Free Play TIme
11:30 - 12:00 Lunch Time
12:00 - 2:30 Nap Time
2:30 - 3:00 Free Play TIme
3:00 Snack Time
3:30 - 5:30 Free Play TIme --I should try to have one-on-one time here ....It is when I start making supper though
5:30 - 6:00 Eat Supper
6:00 - 6:30 Free Play Time -- usually time with dad
6:30 - 6:45 Bedtime Routine
6:45 Bed

No comments: